Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ugh the gym

I have never been one to enjoy working out. I don't run, I don't bike, but I don't want to be out of shape. The hubby got me some trainer sessions at my gym for my birthday and I love working out with a trainer. I know that this won't last forever so I need to figure out how to keep myself motivated and working hard when I am on my own.

My trainer Ed suggested I get a Polar F4. Here is the one I bought, again on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0OFD2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007VB4IY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZA24QBG8WEGHJHJQTS4

After quickly entering in your age and weight it will track your heart rate and calories burned. With the Polar, I can tell when I am in my "zone" and burning the most calories. This is especially great when you are doing weights or anything not cardio. My trainer has me jump rope or other short bursts of cardio between our weight sessions to max my calorie burn. When we do this I can burn 600 calories in an hour session, which is what you would burn doing cardio for the same amount of time.

If you don't want to invest in a Polar, use the steps below to calculate your target heart rate and try and keep in this range as you work out on the treadmill or elliptical. Try to make it at 40 minutes. You will feel great.

1. Subtract your age from 220. (Example for a 28-year-old: 220 - 28 = 192.)

2. Multiply the result by 0.55 to determine 55 percent of your estimated maximum heart rate. (For a 28-year-old: 192 x 0.55 = 105.6, or approximately 106 beats per minute.) This is the low end of your training range, or the slowest your heart should beat when you exercise.
3. Multiply the result from step 1 by 0.90 to calculate 90 percent of your estimated maximum heart rate. (For a 28-year-old: 192 x 0.90 = 172.8, or approximately 173 beats per minute.) This is the high end of your training range, or the fastest that your heart should beat when you exercise.

4. Use your answers from steps 2 and 3 to determine your training heart rate range. (A 28-year-old's training range is 106 to 173 beats per minute.)

Enjoy your workout!!


No comments:

Post a Comment