Friday, January 28, 2011

Book Club

So I am in a book club with a bunch of my Dallas friends. We started a few months ago and I think we have a pretty good system going. I was talking to some other friends and it seems that their book clubs always fall apart after a few meetings. Here are some little "guidelines" that may help you and your friends stick to it:

1. Choose a standing date, such as the 2nd Tuesday of every month. That way there is no haggling over the date, who can make it, who can't, etc. I always know when our meeting is so I can plan accordingly.

2. Have enough people in your book club so when some people flake out (always happens to at least 2 people a month) you still have enough people for a discussion.

3. We all decide on the book together. Granted, some of us have read it before, but this way more people get a say and you will find that people are more likely to read.

4. Always have dinner and plenty of wine. A book club is no fun with out wine to help get the discussion going.

5. Don't get upset if some people don't read the book. I am a dork and read every night, so I am usually one of the few that has read the book all the way through. On the rare occasion that I haven't finished, I still want to go to book club and catch up with everyone. You want to make sure everyone feels welcome to come, whether they have read the book or not.

Anyways, I love our book club. I think we usually discuss the book for about 30 minutes before we move on to more pressing topics like world piece or the Bachelor. Regardless, it is a great thing to do on a Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment