Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Restaurant Review - Alma

I happened in to Alma, a new restaurant on Henderson, with some friends on Saturday night. It occupies the old Cuba Libre spot, and is still by the same owner, Tristan Simon (think the Porch, Fireside Pies, Victor Tangos). Alma is a more traditional, or regional/interior, Mexican food place. It reminds me a little of Hugo's in Houston.

We started out at the bar with two cocktails. I had the Pisco Punch, which had Hibiscus infused Pisco, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, House–made Pineapple Syrup, Fresh Lime Juice, Fresh Pineapple Juice. My friend got the Alma Verde, which had Blanco Tequila, Fresh Lime Juice, Crème of Coconut, Cilantro, Serrano Pepper. Both drinks were extremely yummy and inventive. Below is a pic of the Alma Verde (thanks Carrie)!


We then headed to our table and started with the Oysters. These were kind of boring, definitely pass on these. We also split the guacamole (yummmm) and the tauquitos. Both were great for sharing. 

For the main dish, I split the scallops. These were so amazing. They came in a semi spicy sauce with adobo peppers, corn and pork belly. The scallops were perfectly cooked and completely unique. Our friends split the chicken tacos, which they also devoured. The tortillas are homemade in house.

I really liked the ambiance of this place. They have a small bar downstairs, but the upstairs boasts a huge comfy bar and roaring fire. I predict that this place will blow up in the coming weeks, so go soon to avoid a wait!!

P.S. I found this link to the menu

No comments:

Post a Comment