Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Dovekeepers - A Great Read

I am always looking for great reads, as I tend to plow through books on a weekly basis. My mom recommended The Dovekeepers, by Alica Hoffman, to me and I busted through it in about a week.

I love reading historical fiction, recently reading more about the civil war and always coming back to the intrigue of Henry VIII and his many wives, so I was excited to read about a different time period to break it up a bit.

One of my favorite reads of all time is The Red Tent, based in biblical times and told through the eyes of women, and The Dove Keepers, is set in a similar time and tone, so if you liked The Red Tent, you will love The Dove Keepers.

In short, The Dovekeepers is the story about the holdout at Masada in 70 CE where less than 1,000 Jews were surrounded by Roman Soldiers as they fought for their lives. It is told from several different women's point of view, which I loved as you will come to see each character in a different light as you get wrapped up in the story.

I won't give too much away, as I didn't know too much about this historical event, and enjoyed being surprised. I hope you give this book a try - you'll love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment